Sunday, September 20, 2009

Alma Mater

The Owls won! Hoot Hoot! I had a required Excursion to Sienna on Friday (I love that I have to travel for class). First off, it was absolutely gorgeous. It is up on top of the Tuscan hills and reminds me of KU's campus with its steep inclines.  But what I like most about Sienna, is its rivaling neighborhoods.  There are 17 distinct neighborhoods each with its own symbol.  Sienna is smaller than Florence and Florence in comparison to Rome is tiny! How there can be 17 neighborhoods is beyond me.  None of these neighborhoods matter until July and August when 2 horse races take place in honor of the Virgin Mary (they dedicated their city to her in the 1200s (?) after they prayed to her to save them from the upcoming Florentine attack and Sienna beat the Florentines). This race is purely for the citizens of Sienna, not for tourism. The Owls won this year! I bought a scarf and took tons of pictures of their flags that they were allowed to keep up since they are the champs. I also went to San Gimignano where I ate the World's Best Gelato. I had date gelato and was actually extremely tasty. I'm working on getting pictures up right now!

One more tip: Bring anti-itch cream. There are mosquitos here, but these mosquitos are evil!

No comments:

Post a Comment