Tuesday, October 6, 2009

The Blue

First off, sorry it's been so long. Between the visits, reading, my midterm, my presentation, and going to Sardinia, I have had no time! I cannot believe that I am over half way through my time in Florence, so I'm choosing not to think about it.  I did wake up Saturday in Sardinia and realize it had been a week since I posted anything, but I did not have access to a computer.

Secondly, I have been told that I never talk abou ut school.  I am taking Western Civilization in 6 weeks in Florence.  Since I have gotten here I have read Genesis, Exodus, Plato's The Apology and The Republic, Aristotle's Politics, Seneca's Letters on Stoicism, Matthew and the First Letter to the Corinthians in the New Testament, and now Saint Augustine's Confessions. I have only used Spark Notes once, because I did not follow Augustine's train of thought.

Thirdly, the things I miss. In the U.S. waiters and sales people at least PRETEND that they like you. Here, they roll their eyes and try to pull a fast one on you (count your change). This is why when anyone is friendly to us, we automatically buy something from them even if we can get it cheaper somewhere else.  Another thing I miss is a nicely cut lawn or just any kind of grass! I went to the American Cemetery from WWII that is just outside of Florence and it just made me happy.

Lastly, what I have learned.  Seneca believes that no matter where you go, you take home with you.  Kansas definitely followed me.  I'm just as crazy here as I am at home.  Also, today I went into a store just down my street and my roommate went to try on a sweater.  I talked to the shop owner (who was nice so I'm going back) and found that I understood her Italian. She spoke simply and I couldn't respond in Italian, but I knew what she said. Who knew?

P.S. Did I mention the mosquitos are on steroids here??

No comments:

Post a Comment